HISTORY: COMPANIA CUBANA DE AVIATION S.A. was established on 8 October 1929 as Compania Nacional Cubana de Aviacion Curtiss S.A., initially as a flying school as well as a charter carrier, beginning scheduled services in 1930. Pan American acquired Cubana in 1932, and the word Curtiss was deleted from the carrier's name. In 1954 Cuban government acquires Pan Am's remaining stake in Cubana. In May 1959, Cuba's revolutionary government decided to take over Cubana, expropriating all its investors. The private passenger airline Aerovias Q and private cargo carriers Cuba Aeropostal and Expreso Aereo Interamericano, were then merged into Cubana, which was rebranded as Empresa Consolidada Cubana de Aviacion and had an initial state investment of 80%; it started operations on 27 June 1961.
|GO BACK TO CUBA|