HISTORY: SOCIETATE DE TRANSPORTURI AERIENE ROMINO-SOVIETICA (T.A.R.S.) was founded in 1920 as CFRNA (French-Romanian Company for Air Navigation). In 1928 the airline changed its name to SNNA (The National Air Navigation Service). In 1930, the company adopted the name LARES (Liniile Aeriene Romane Exploatate de Stat, Romanian State-Operated Air Lines) while 1937 saw the merger of LARES with its competitor, SARTA (Societatea Anonima Romana de Transporturi Aeriene). Immediately After World War II, in 1945, when the Soviet Union had extended its influence across Eastern Europe, a new reorganization replaced LARES with TARS (Transporturi Aeriene Romano-Sovietice), jointly owned by the governments of Romania and the Soviet Union. Domestic operations were started from Bucharest (Baneasa Airport) on 1 February 1946, when TARS took over all air services and aircraft from LARES. Over the following decade, the company's Soviet share was purchased by Romanian government and, on 18 September 1954, the airline adopted the name of TAROM (Transporturi Aeriene Romane, Romanian Air Transport).
|GO BACK TO ROMANIA|